Tuesday 12 May 2015

Adventures in finger painting.


I know that some people don't like paint on their hands, like REALLY don't like it, but I actually find it quite soothing. Now soil is a different matter - urgh! HATE gardening HATE the feeling of soil on my hands! Colourful paint however, is a different matter. Very often when faced with the scary blank white page I will just 'scribble' my fist patch of colour on with my hand. No more scary white space and I'm good to go.
I used the gorgeous new Dylusions paints for this page and I can honestly say the colours are AWESOME. These paints have almost a fluid consistency, but if you find they dry a bit too quick when finger painting (the heat from your hand speeds things up a bit!) you could try missing with a heavier body white such as an Amsterdam.

Her's my first 'scribbled' layer:


I then added a few more colours ... still very scribbly as you can see ...


I stencilled through a Dylusions stencil, using a sponge and only colours that I had already used, then added some doodling with a white Signo Uniball pen (the BEST white gel pen!), and then some touches of black. Every page needs a touch of black.


Some scrapes with an old credit card and a few bottle lids ... both ways up .... and my background is good to go. My hands however, need a good scrub ;-)


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing the stages you went through to achieve this page Kate. Looks gorgeous too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great background. I am very happy using my fingers for painting, happy with them being in soil too :D
    The Dylusions paint do feel nice to the touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the background. Thank you for showing the process! - Irma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love painty hands or soil, both acceptable in my world lol. Love your swirls and stencilling background and agree that the white Signo pen is the best:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kate, I shall try this today. You can make anything sing...but me, it's not so ez, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of a window into a new adventure! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not fond of finger painting, but I love your page, and have just taken delivery of the full set of paints so itching to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant page Kate!!! I am SO with you about the uni-ball pens! Now , I only have to get a hold of some of these paints so many have been raving about:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make it sound easy enough that I want to try it! I love getting inky, so I might as well get "painty" lol. I love the way the background came out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very eye-catching colors! Love this easy way to create a page. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to read about your process. I love to use my fingers to paint (hate gardening though!) but get scared of all that white space. Perhaps just need to go for it more often :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!